Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Trying to Dye Handspun

I've got a couple of hanks of handspun that I've been wanting to dye. They aren't the best so far as spinning goes, but they are prefect to try something new on.

I've been wanting to learn how to hand dye yarn without using harmful chemicals. I found a couple packets of kool-aid in my kitchen along with an old box of food coloring.

I decided to give it a whirl.

In the left bag I added red & yellow food coloring, 2 qts of cold water & a couple glugs of vinegar. In the right bag I added two packets of kool-aid (sugar free berry blast I'm thinking), 2 qts of cold water & a couple glugs of vinegar. It's supposed to get close to 90 degrees today so I'm leaving them on my deck to bake.

When they are done on the deck, I'll rinse them and hang them to dry. I'm excited to see what I have when it's all said and done. This may become yet another addiction.


I found a box of Wilton cake dye in the back of the cupboard. How do you suggest I go about using that?...

No comments: