Friday, July 04, 2008

I'm alive, I was just on vacation.

I'm back from my vacation and was able to make two yarn related stops on the trip. The first was to Joseph's Coat, a little shop in Missoula, MT.

I purchased the above 80% merino/20% silk blend roving. VERY soft!The first thing I did when I got home (after unpacking)
was spin some up on my wheel.


The final day of my vacation was spent at Brown Sheep Company in Mitchell, NE. This was actually a designated stop. I didn't have to talk anyone into it (granted, I went with my mom, aunt, & son so objections were minimal). I was told that they sold mill ends for cheap. I asked if they happened to have any roving for sale. They did. I was given a tour by a wonderful woman who shoed me how they spun, dyed, dried, etc. all of their yarns. It was my birthday & Christmas rolled into one!

Here is what I brought home from Brown Sheep Co.

Blue & white wool/merino blended and ready for spinning.Black & white wool/merino BEFORE blending.
Makes me think of a skunk.Black & white wool/merino blended & ready for spinning.
100% acrylic. It was gifted to me by the woman who gave me the tour. She wasn't sure if it could be spun easily. Said it was what they used with their wool when spinning sock yarn to make it more durable. I told her I had a drop spindle in the car and we tried it out. Turns out it works! I'm going to attempt to spin some sock yarn with it.

The best part of the day was when I got to meet THE Mr. Brown of Brown Sheep Company. I gave him a thumbs up and told him he was doing a terrific job.

He is actually posing for the picture.

No comments: