Saturday, November 04, 2006

My new swift

I really, really, really, really, really wanted a swift. However, I didn't want to pay upwards of $70 for one. I'll admit, I'm cheap. I started looking online for cheaper ones and saw several different designs. Looking at some I thought they were garbage, looking at others, I thought, "Hmmm, I'll bet Dad & I could make one cheaper." Needless to say, he agreed so we did. I give you my collapsable swift.Dad is a bit of a builder type and had tons of extra wood. The base is pine, the cross arms are oak, and the pegs are cherry. The cross arms are each roughly 31" long. We drilled holes for the pegs 2", 6", & 10" from each end. This will allow for flexibility based on the amount of yarn I'm using. Very pretty in person. I'm debating adding finish or leaving it as-is. The arms spin around the center post. Nice and smooth I might add...
Dad thought I should make it so I can take it apart. I can see where he's coming from, however, with the way I work, that means I'm guaranteed to lose several pieces before I ever use it. Notice the small sewing ruler in the upper left of the pic. I added that so you could see how large it actually is.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

It looks nice. You'll have to tell me how it works after you use it a few times.