Sunday, April 22, 2012

First Garden in the New House!

It has been declared, "The Year of the Garden," at our house.  At least, that's what I'm calling it.  We went to our local nursery last weekend and selected several varieties of tomato and pepper plants.  We also picked up some cilantro, basil and a lone cucumber plant. 

I took my sister's advice and put grass clippings on the soil to deter weed growth.  I'm excited to see how it works.  I didn't have enough clippings after mowing yesterday (shocker) so I'll put one more bag on next week.  

This is the entire garden.  Quite a bit smaller than the one at the old house.

Back row has 3 roma, 2 big boy, and 1 zebra stripe variety of tomato plants.  Behind the green cage on the right is one rhubarb (courtesy of the previous owner) and an unidentified plant type thingy. Behind the red tomato cage is the only cucumber plant we bought this year.

Here's the basil and cilantro.

Forgot to pick up peas while we were at the store so hubs brought some home.  We had the gigantic posts in the garden already (not sure what they were used for previously).  I decided that's where we'd put the peas.  I used some twine to make a staggered ladder for them to grow on.  I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Front row are the peppers.  We chose to plant banana, red, yellow.  I feel like I picked out something else but, I can't recall what.  Typical.


Here's the force field we wrapped the garden in.  We didn't need one at the old house like we do here.  Apparently, we've got a rabbit problem.  We realized it the morning after planting when one of the roma plants was reduced to a stick and single leaf. 

1 comment:

Terry said...

Garden looks good! Sounds like you may need Rambo-Michelle to help you with your rabbit problem!