Saturday, August 02, 2008

Market Bag

I was looking for a cute lace knit bag that I could use when attending the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. I found one at Knits & Pieces. She found it at Plymouth Yarn's website. I will say, her's is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. I decided last night I would 'whip it up'.

I had one ball of yarn, which was less than the pattern called for. I knit with the needles the pattern called for but stopped when I was close to running out of yarn.

Then I garter stitched the amount the pattern called for before handles, went to a size 11 circ. and doubled it (I wanted to do more but ran out of yarn).

I had some wooden handles I was wanting to use so I put them at the top of the bag instead of the handles the pattern called for.

Next time, I would definitely recommend going down in needle size when knitting the lace. It's super stretchy and you'd get more of the pattern out of it. I would also allow for more garter stitch at the top of the bag, I just think it would look better.

Pattern inspiration: Fantasy Naturale Market Bag
Yarn used: Lion Brand, Cotton Ease, color purple
Needles: 10 1/2 straight, 15 circular, 11 circular
Other 'stuff' needed: pair of circular bamboo handles
Time to knit: 5 hours (eating dinner & watching shark week mixed in)


I put a tea towel in the bottom to show the pattern better. You likes?

I could fit a watermelon in this thing, seriously.

I want more garter stitch!

I'm taking it to the farmer's market this morning to test it out. I have a feeling I will be making another one shortly.

No comments: